The Estes Park Half Marathon is Colorado’s most scenic 13.1 mile race you can find! One of Forbes “Top 7 Most Scenic Half Marathons in the USA!” Our course is shared with our marathon route and awarded by Colorado Runner magazine as “most scenic” for 2012. The Estes Park Half Marathon is the first of three races in the COLORADO MOUNTAIN HALF SERIES, which benefits local youth programs. Enjoy the scenic 1500 ft descending course that takes you around Lake Estes and finishes at the Estes Park High School track. Participants will see views of the Estes Park valley, Long’s Peak, the Continental Divide and run along boundary areas of Rocky Mountain National Park. The half marathon is a competitive race, as well as welcoming to the fitness runner. Come and find out why participants continue to return and experience Colorado’s favorite!
Half Marathon Info
- Start time: Time Trial spacing, 3 second interval. 6:00-8:15 AM (after the last bus drops off runners)
- Start location: Dao House, on CO Highway 7, lower parking lot.
- Transportation: All Half Marathon participants must take the provided Rocky Mountain Transit buses to the Dao House. The Estes Park Half Marathon participants will be picked-up from the Estes Park High School parking lot beginning at 5:00AM. To reduce waiting and bus crowding (can only be at 50% capacity), runners will sign up for their bus departure time at registration. Sign up is first come, first serve. Register early to secure your preferred bus time. There is NO transportation provided to return to start area post race. Runners are allowed to be dropped off by private vehicles across from the entrance to the Dao House property. NO PRIVATE VEHICLES ARE ALLOWED ONTO THE DAO HOUSE PROPERTY. NO EXCEPTIONS. We ask that runners take the FREE buses to start line as it reduces traffic on the Highway 7 course. As a runner YOU will appreciate the quiet and inspired views without additional vehicles on the road. PLEASE, select your bus time at registration and NOT drive to the Dao House. We thank you for your cooperation!
- Start Line Support: Runners will be welcomed by the Dao House and can immediately line up in Start Line Corral. Several Porto-let Restrooms will be available at Start Area. NO Gear drop will be provided.
- Time Trial Start: Respecting the need to keep Runners, Walkers and Volunteers safe from potential spread of COVID19, there is strict social distancing protocols for our start process. Runners will NOT have a mass start, but rather a 3 second interval time trial start. Corrals will be established through bus loads. Once your bus arrives at the beautiful Dao House property, runners may line up in staggered formation to keep social distancing. Runners will race against their clocks and share in the inspiring Rocky Mountain views. Enjoy!
- Half Marathon Aid Stations or Water Stations: Provided approximately every 2 miles. Beginning at MM6, Aid stations will provide VFuel gels & Hydration. Water stations will provide water and Gatorade.
- Public Restrooms & Porta Potties: Porta Potties are located at all Aid Stations and Public Restrooms are located around the Lake Estes Trail. See printable course map.
- FINISHER MEDAL– A beautifully designed finisher medal will be given to each Half Marathon runner as they cross the finish line.
- Course cut off time: 1:00PM
- NO Registration ALLOWED on race day.
- Packet Pick-Up is available Saturday, 8:00am- 5:00pm or Sunday, starting at 4:30AM at race registration.
- Age Group Awards for the Marathon & Half-Marathon: 19 & under, 20 – 29, 30 – 39, 40 – 49, 50- 59, 60-69, 70-79, 80+
- All Awards: Will be mailed to these winners!
- View course map for EP Half Marathon here
- All four races end at the Estes Park Track and Field (elevation 7,550 feet). The courses take place on dirt road shoulders, dirt trail (Fish Creek Trail) and paved pathways. All courses offer spectacular mountain views!
- The course is marked with directional arrows on the roads and trails, as well as yellow directional signs. In critical spots there will also be course marshals.
Use the buttons below to download a detailed map with all the aid and water stations.
Estes Park Half Marathon Course Description:
The Estes Park Half Marathon course starts at the Dao House, on CO Highway 7. Runners will line up at the lower parking lot, next to the pond. Runners will enter northbound Hwy 7 and descend the very scenic route to Fish Creek Road (FCR). Turning Right onto FCR, runners will pass the second aid station and first Porta-Potty at mile 4. Continuing down FCR, runners will descend a total of 1500 ft to Brodie Ave. Runners will turn left and take an immediate right to enter the Lake Estes Trail (paved with some dirt shoulder room). Passing the Dog Park and thru the south pedestrian tunnel, runners will go counter-clockwise around Lake Estes, east bound to Mall Road and down the path to Waipit Meadows , continuing on the Lake Estes Trail. Runners will turn Right into the pedestrian tunnel and continue following the Lake Estes Trail to Brodie Ave. Turning right up the short climb on Brodie Ave, runners will enter the Estes Park High School Track, and finish with a 300m lap to the finish line in front of BOBCAT STADIUM!
All our courses are well marked with Green, Red and Yellow arrows, guiding you at each intersection turn. Road marshals are positioned throughout the courses for additional support.
Group Runs organized by the Estes Park Running Club & Professional Coaching
TUESDAY EVENING FUN RUN SERIES at the STANLEY HOTEL, year round!
- WARM-UP & REGISTER: 5:30PM meet at Stanley Hotel.
- RUN START: 6:05PM following a 3 – 5 mile route, which highlights inspiring mountain views and passes historic landmarks.
- POST RUN: Stretching, cool down drills and strengthening
- SNACKS: Provided for participants!
- Join this weekly FUN RUN for camaraderie, fitness, motivation, training! All fitness abilities and age groups welcome to RUN or WALK.
WEDNESDAY SPEED WORK at Estes Park High School Track & Field (Mid-Summer months only)
- WARM-UP: 5:30PM dynamic stretching series
- TRACK/SPEED WORKOUTS: 6:00PM all sessions are lead by coaches. Designed for all distances & abilities. Join the fun for motivation!
THURSDAY TRAIL & BREWERY RUNS!
- YEAR ROUND!, Late Fall thru Late Spring, the Thursday evening runs depart from and finish at rotating local brewery locations in Estes Park. During mid-June, July, August, & September, Thursday Runs will start from designated trailheads. After the trail run, participants will meet at the “Co-Hosting Sponsor” Brewery for 50% off brew or non- alcoholic beverage.
- January thru April, The Barrel of Estes Park
- April – June, Rock Cut Brewery
- July, The Barrel of Estes Park
- August & September, Lumpy Ridge Brewery
- October, Avanti Brewery
- November, Rock Cut Brewery
- Beginning late June, runners meet at announced trailheads or designated parking lots. Please request to join our Facebook group, Estes Park Running Club for weekly information or Estes Park Running Club page for ongoing racing & events in the Estes Park area. Our trail runs typically have 8 – 12 people, which makes it enjoyable! Please join us!
You can find all this info on our Estes Park Running Club Website
Items for sale at the info booth