The Estes Park Half Marathon is Colorado’s most scenic 13.1 mile race you can find! Our course is shared with our marathon route and awarded by Colorado Runner magazine as “most scenic” for 2012. The Estes Park Half Marathon is the first of three races in the COLORADO MOUNTAIN HALF SERIES, which benefits local youth programs. Enjoy the scenic 1500 ft descending course that takes you around Lake Estes and finishes at the Estes Park High School track. Participants will see views of the Estes Park valley, Long’s Peak, the Continental Divide and run along boundary areas of Rocky Mountain National Park. The half marathon is a competitive race, as well as welcoming to the fitness runner. Come and find out why participants continue to return and experience Colorado’s favorite!
Half Marathon Info
- Start time: 6:30 AM
- Start location: Dao House, on CO Highway 7, lower parking lot.
- Transportation: ALL Runner’s must use the School Busses, Estes Park Trolley or Rocky Mountain Transit busses to be transported to the start line, beginning at 4:30AM and final departure 5:30AM from the Estes Park High School (race registration & packet pick-up location). Runners may be dropped off by private vehicle at the Dao House, but cars are NOT allowed to remain on property once the races begin. We thank you for your cooperation! Runners who arrive early to the Dao House, may stay indoors at lobby. Coffee and restrooms will be provided.
- Start Line Support: Early arrival Runners will be welcomed by the Dao House with coffee, warm lobby and restrooms. Gear drop off will be provided to those wanting to leave items and can be retrieved at the finish line.
- Half Marathon Aid Stations or Water Stations: Provided approximately every 2 miles. Beginning at MM4, Aid stations will provide VFuel gels, Honey Stinger waffles or chews, & Gatorade. Water stations will provide water and Gatorade.
- Public Restrooms & Porta Potties: Porta Potties are located at all Aid Stations and Public Restrooms are located around the Lake Estes Trail. See printable course map.
- Course cut off time: 1:00PM
- NO Registration ALLOWED on race day.
- Packet Pick-Up is available Saturday, 8:00am- 5:00pm or Sunday, starting at 4:30AM at registration.
- Age Group Awards for the Marathon & Half-Marathon: 19 & under, 20 – 29, 30 – 39, 40 – 49, 50- 59, 60-69, 70-79, 80+
- Half marathon awards: Available to be picked up at the finish line award’s table. The awards table will be located on the field. There wont be an awards ceremony, but we congratulate our top finishers in advance! If you know that you will not pick up your award at the finish line, please let us know and pay $5 at registration for shipping/handling. Thank you!
- View course map for EP Half Marathon here
- All four races end at the Estes Park Track and Field (elevation 7,550 feet). The courses take place on dirt road shoulders, dirt trail (Fish Creek Trail) and paved pathways. All courses offer spectacular mountain views!
- The course is marked with directional arrows on the roads and trails, as well as yellow directional signs. In critical spots there will also be course marshals.
Use the buttons below to download a detailed map with all the aid and water stations.
Max elevation: 9134 ft
Min elevation: 7428 ft
Total climbing: 574 ft
Total descent: -2123 ft
Estes Park Half Marathon Course Description:
The Estes Park Half Marathon course starts at the Dao House, on CO Highway 7. Runners will line up at the lower parking lot, next to the pond. Runners will enter northbound Hwy 7 and descend the very scenic route to Fish Creek Road (FCR). Turning Right onto FCR, runners will pass the second aid station and first Porta-Potty at mile 4. Continuing down FCR, runners will descend a total of 1500 ft to Brodie Ave. Runners will turn left and take an immediate right to enter the Lake Estes Trail (paved with some dirt shoulder room). Passing the Dog Park and thru the south pedestrian tunnel, runners will go counter-clockwise around Lake Estes, east bound to Mall Road and down the path to Waipit Meadows , continuing on the Lake Estes Trail. Runners will turn Right into the pedestrian tunnel and continue following the Lake Estes Trail to Brodie Ave. Turning right up the short climb on Brodie Ave, runners will enter the Estes Park High School Track, and finish with a 300m lap to the finish line in front of BOBCAT STADIUM!
All our courses are well marked with Green, Red and Yellow arrows, guiding you at each intersection turn. Road marshals are positioned throughout the courses for additional support.
Group Runs organized by the Estes Park Running Club & Professional Coaching
TUESDAY EVENING FUN RUN SERIES at the STANLEY HOTEL, year round!
- WARM-UP & REGISTER: 5:30PM meet at Stanley Hotel.
- RUN START: 6:05PM following a 3 – 5 mile route, which highlights inspiring mountain views and passes historic landmarks.
- POST RUN: Stretching, cool down drills and strengthening
- SNACKS: Provided for participants!
- Join this weekly FUN RUN for camaraderie, fitness, motivation, training! All fitness abilities and age groups welcome to RUN or WALK.
WEDNESDAY SPEED WORK at Estes Park High School Track & Field (Mid-Summer months only)
- WARM-UP: 5:30PM dynamic stretching series
- TRACK/SPEED WORKOUTS: 6:00PM all sessions are lead by coaches. Designed for all distances & abilities. Join the fun for motivation!
THURSDAY TRAIL & BREWERY RUNS!
- YEAR ROUND!, Late Fall thru Late Spring, the Thursday evening runs depart from and finish at rotating local brewery locations in Estes Park. During mid-June, July, August, & September, Thursday Runs will start from designated trailheads. After the trail run, participants will meet at the “Co-Hosting Sponsor” Brewery for 50% off brew or non- alcoholic beverage.
- January thru April, The Barrel of Estes Park
- April – June, Rock Cut Brewery
- July, The Barrel of Estes Park
- August & September, Lumpy Ridge Brewery
- October, Avanti Brewery
- November, Rock Cut Brewery
- Beginning late June, runners meet at announced trailheads or designated parking lots. Please request to join our Facebook group, Estes Park Running Club for weekly information or Estes Park Running Club page for ongoing racing & events in the Estes Park area. Our trail runs typically have 8 – 12 people, which makes it enjoyable! Please join us!
You can find all this info on our Estes Park Running Club Website
Items for sale at the info booth